Monday, January 22, 2007

Red House On A Hill

9x12 on watercolor paper w/gesso & pumice
I felt a little rusty this morning working on this pastel study. I tried something different with the first layer of pastel. I applied a layer of red everywhere except the sky area, since there was so much green and red is greens compliment. I have seen a lot of artist start their paintings this way. If you look close enough you can see some of the red peeking through. This is painted from a picture I took while in California this past summer. We were on LaHonda Rd. making our way back to the Pacific Coast Highway (hwy. 1). We were on our way to Carmel-By-The-Sea. I loved that small town...lots of small shops and animals are welcome just about everywhere. This road was very winding...my youngest daughter got sick and we had to pull over in the small town of LaHonda. Lots and lots of beautiful scenery along this road...it was so winding that you could only drive 30 m.p.h. I will never forget the beauty of this stretch of California!

I'm hoping to start back with my goal of painting a small study everyday. I'm going to try and discipline myself to paint as soon as I have finished my morning walk. It should only take me about 45 minutes to an hour to paint a small study. I'm going to paint small 5x7 or 6x8.

"Ones destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things."- Henry Miller

Until tomorrow...

No comments: