Friday, December 5, 2008

chicks and mittens...

Monday I noticed that one of the white chicks was very weak, so I put her by herself...Tuesday I noticed another showing weakness, so I called Ideal Poultry (where we bought the chicks from) and told them what was happening. They told me that these chicks needed to be on 28% protein due to the fact that they grow so fast and that I needed to separate them from the red chicks...I thought GREAT! I made a trip to the feed store...bought the right food for them and separated them when DH got home. One of the chicks is doing better. DH and I have decided that these type of chickens are too much maintenance and we will not attempt to raise them again!
Now for these little guys...they are doing great...they are a very hardy bird and fun to watch. I know there are a few roosters in the bunch...they seem to love to stir up trouble! If you look at the top picture, you can see one of the reds has ventured over the bales of hay that seperate them and joined the whites. The white chicks don't seem to mind if some of the reds visit, but boy if the whites pay the reds a visit the reds get all up in their faces and the whites return to their place in the coop.
Aqua and gray pair of fingerless mittens...I started a chocolate color pair last night.


No comments: